Offences and penalties Under GST Regime. Offences are most important part of any ACT which provide stick to the Act for it smooth functioning and implementation. various Penalties under GST. check out more details for Offences and penalties Under GST.
Offences and penalties Under GSTLate Fees For Non Filing Or Late Filing Of Returns (Section 47)
- a.Fails to furnish details of outward or inward supplies u/s 37 or 38 or 39 or 45 before the due date.
- b.Late fees : Rs. 100/- per day (Max of Rs. 5000/-)
Offences (Section 122 (1))
|Nature of Offence||Prescribed Penalty|
|Where a taxable person who:
||Higher of the following
Section 122 (2)Any registered person who supplies any goods or services or both on which any tax has not been paid or short paid or erroneously refunded or where ITC has been wrongly availed or utilized
- Rs. 10000.00
- 10% of the tax due
- Rs. 10000.00
- Tax due
Section 122 (3)
- Aids or abets any of the offences specified in clauses (i) to (xxi) of Sub Sec 1.
- Acquires possession of or conceals himself in transporting, depositing, keeping, concealing, supplying or purchasing goods which are liable to confiscation.
- Receives or is in any way concerned with the supply of services which are in contravention of this act.
- Fails to appear before the officer.
- Fails to issue invoice or fails to account for the an invoice in his books of accounts
- Penalty for failure to furnish Information Return u/s 150 :
- Rs. 100/- for each day during which the failure to furnish such return continues
- He shall be punishable with a fine which may extend to Rs. 10000/-
- Which may extend upto Rs. 100/- for each day during which the offence continues subject to a maximum of Rs. 25000/-
General Penalty (Sec 125)
- Any person who contravenes the provisions of this Act.
- For which no penalty is prescribed
- Penalty – may extend upto Rs. 25000/-
General Disciplines Related To Penalty
- No Penalty for Minor Breach of Tax Regulation or Procedural Requirement - Minor breach : amount of tax involved is less than Rs. 5000/-
- No Penalty for a mistake which is easily rectifiable.
- No penalty without following the principles of Natural Justice.
- The officer imposing penalty shall specify the nature of breach and the applicable law under which the amount of penalty has been specified
- Voluntary Disclosure of a breach: - The proper officer may consider this fact as a mitigating factor when quantifying for the penalty.
- The provisions of this section shall not be followed if penalty is fixed under this law.
Detention of Goods
- Notwithstanding anything contained in this act
- Where any person transports or stores any goods which are in contravention of the act.
- All such goods and the conveyance used to transport such goods shall be liable to detention or seizure.
Release of Detained Goods
Confiscation of Goods (Section 130)
- Supplies or receives any goods in contravention of this act with an intent to evade payment of tax.
- Does not account for any goods on which he is liable to pay tax under this act.
- Supplies any goods liable to tax under this act without getting registered.
- Contravenes any of the provisions of this Act with an intent to evade payment of tax.
- Uses any conveyance as a means of transport for carriage of goods in contravention of the act unless the owner of the conveyance proves that it was so used without knowledge or connivance of the owner
Fine in lieu of Confiscation
- The Adjudging officer shall give an option to pay fine in lieu of confiscation.
- Such fine shall not exceed the market value of goods less tax chargeable thereon.
- Provided also, that where any such conveyance is used for the carriage of the goods, the owner of the conveyance shall be given an option to pay a fine equal to the tax payable on the goods being transported thereon in lieu of confiscation.
- Why GST For India
- Role of Chartered Accountants in GST
- GST Objective
- GST Current Tax Structure
- Filing of GST Returns
- When will GST be applicable
- List of Taxes Included in GST
- Impact of GST in Indian Economy
- GST Registration
- GST Rates