How to become an Income Tax officer?: Examination, Eligibility, process
How to become an Income Tax officer?. Find full Procedure to become an Income Tax Officer. Find complete details for how to become Income Tax Officer like – What does an income tax officer do ?, Examination to become an ITO, Eligibility for Income Tax officer, the Selection process of Income Tax officer etc. Now you can scroll down below and check complete details regarding “How to become an Income Tax officer?”
If you like this article then please like us on Facebook so that you can get our updates in future ……….and subscribe to our mailing list ” freely “
- Everything you want to know about Form 15CA & Form 15CB
- Deposits Under Company’s Act 2013 – Sec 73, 74, 75 & 76
- TDS on Non residents – Section 195 – Complete Details
- How to Determine Residential status in India
- Interest on income tax u/s 234A , 234B, 234C
How to become an Income Tax officer?
What does an income tax officer do ?
An income tax officer is someone who deals with income tax matters concerning the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT). The CBDT is a department of the Central Government of India which is responsible for looking after all tax related matters.
As direct tax is one of the main incomes of the Indian government, the duties of an income tax officer include many activities.
It is the responsibility of the ITO’s to find those defaulters and bring them to the notice of the department so that they can be compelled to pay the tax dues on on their income.
To the best of my knowledge to become an income tax officer first the aspirant should
enter into CBDT as Income Tax Inspector or Tax Assistant. Then they can get promotion to the designation of Income Tax Officer after qualifying the departmental examination.
Examination to become an ITO :
The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) every year conducts an entrance exam (SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam) for the recruitment of candidates in the income tax department. This goes as a series of written, oral tests and physical tests also will be carried out for the selection of the candidates. Those candidates who clear these tests will be eligible for an interview later.
1) The candidates must be at least 18 years and not more than 27 years at the time of applying for the exam.
The maximum age limit will be relaxed by 3 years for OBC candidates and 5 years for SC/ST candidates.
2) Candidate should be graduated from an university recognized by University Grant Commission. Graduation could be in any stream.
3) Physical fitness :
a)Height : 157.5cm
b)Chest : 81cm ,fully expanded with a minimum expansion of 5 cm
i)Walking:1600 meters in 15 minutes
ii)Cycling:8 Km in 30 minutes
Selection process :
1) Candidate can apply through offline or online . Application can be downloaded from SSC website
Examination Name – SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam
Details of Posts of SSC Combined Graduate Level Exam
- Inspector of Income Tax (CBDT)
- Inspector- Central Excise (CBEC)
- Inspector- Preventive Officer (CBEC)
- Inspector- Examiner (CBEC)
- Divisional Accountant (Offices under CAG)
- Auditor (Offices under C&AG)
- Auditor (Offices under CGA & others)
- Accountant/ Junior Accountant (Offices under C&AG)
- Accountant/ Junior Accountant (Offices under CGA & others)
- Tax Assistant (CBDT)
- Tax Assistant (CBEC)
- Many Others
If the candidates prefer offline application procedure, then they should submit the forms at the Regional/Sub Regional offices of Staff Selection Commission after paying Rs. 100/- as Central Recruitment Fee Stamps
2) Written exam will be conducted as two tiers as stated below :
|A||Tier-1 (2 hrs )||Marks|
|General intelligence + reasoning||50|
|General English comprehension||50|
|B||Tier-2 (4 hrs )||Marks|
|English language and comprehension||200|
3) Candidates who qualify all the tests stated above will be called for a personal interview in which the interviewer tests the candidate’s mental fitness and his awareness about taxation matters and all.