First Time Offender? Here’s How to Choose a DUI Lawyer
A DUI is a severe case where you can find yourself facing long-term consequences, even if it is your first offense. That’s why when you’re charged with one, you have to act fast and quickly to hire a DUI lawyer to support you.
The most significant issue with the second part of that paragraph is that finding and choosing a DUI lawyer isn’t as simple as it should be. With so many lawyers available, it can be challenging to narrow down your search and select the one that best fits your case and your personal needs.
So in a bid to help your search, we have a guide on how you can go about choosing your DUI lawyer.
Know What To Search For
You can’t search for something if you don’t know what to look for. That’s why you must create a list of critical factors that you should consider for your DUI attorney. Make sure you consider the following factors:
- Their experience within the field
- Their success and reputation in the court (do they win cases?)
- Their approach to DUI cases, alongside their personalized primary care
- Their legal fees and structures (it is going to cost you to hire them)
Without this concrete plan, your search could be in vain, so make sure you have a solid foundation before starting.
Start Your Search
There are several ways in which you can find a DUI attorney to help you. Make the most out of the following search tools to narrow down your list.
- Speak to your colleagues, friends and family if they know a DUI lawyer that can help you. You’ll be getting firsthand experience and references from reliable sources.
- Ask Legal Aid & lawyer associations within your city/area/province or state. They can offer you a list of individuals and firms that specialize in DUI law.
- Do online research! The standard approach to finding a lawyer can sometimes be the most beneficial. Google searches, coupled with reviews, can give you a detailed account of what it is like to work with these lawyers.
When you’ve compiled your list and ensured they met the standards you’ve set for yourself above, you can now move onto the next step.
Must Read: CA Inter Result
Interview Multiple Attorneys
Just like you would with home renovation contractors or other specialists, you have to speak to them one-on-one to determine if they can help you with your case. That’s why you must visit or speak to them to gain an understanding of their work process. When you do, make sure you:
- Ask them questions about how they will approach your case. This is literally a life-changing event, so you want to know if you have the right support network. Ask them everything from “Can your case be kept off the record?” to “How many DUI cases similar to this have you won before?”.
- Know your legal costs upfront. Ask them for an outline of what the case might cost you so you don’t end up wasting money or time on them.
- Ask them about how they will approach your case. You don’t want to be left in the dark over handling your case, so gathering information on how the lawyer will manage and execute it is crucial (everything from witnesses to forensic tests).
- What is your communication strategy? Will the lawyer speak to you often, updating you about their project or just leave you be until they need you? Finding how they communicate can alleviate any fears you might have.
Compare & Contrast
Now that you’ve met a few attorneys, you can get a feel of which one of them is best suited for you and your needs. Remember that not only do you want a lawyer that can help your case, but one that can offer you mental and emotional support during this time.
It’s your first offense, so it’s going to be a nerve-wracking experience that can really frail your mind and body. You’ll need to know that you’ll have support from a top-notch DUI lawyer.