Section 59 of GST - Self assessment as per GST Act. Check Details for GST Section 59 In terms of Section 2(11) of the Act, “assessment” means determination of tax liability under this Act and includes self-assessment, re-assessment, provisional assessment, summary assessment and best judgement assessmentMust Read – List of all sections of GST
Section 59 of GST - Self assessment as per GST Act
|Section or Rule||Description|
|Section 2(94)||Definition of Registered Person|
|Section 2(97)||Definition of Return|
|Section 39||Furnishing of returns|
|Chapter VIII of the CGST Rules, 2017||Returns|
Analysis and Updates
- Self-assessment (Section 59)
- Provisional Assessment (Section 60)
- Scrutiny of returns filed by registered taxable persons (Section 61 )
- Assessment of non-filers of returns (Section 62)
- Assessment of unregistered persons (Section 63)
- Summary Assessment in certain special cases (Section 64)
- (i) Self-assessment in terms of Section 59 refers to the assessment made by registered person himself / itself while all other assessments are undertaken by tax authorities.
- (ii) Provisional Assessment under Section 60 is an assessment undertaken at the instance of the registered person. Provisional Assessment is followed by a final Assessment.
- (iii) Scrutiny Assessment under section 61 is a form of re-assessment (since the self-assessment is made by the registered person himself / itself. A scrutiny of returns conducted by the proper officer who checks for the correctness of the returns filed and intimates the registered person of any discrepancies noticed.
- (iv) Assessment of non-filers u/s 62 and Assessment of un-registered person u/s 63 are in the nature of best judgement assessments.
- (v) Summary Assessment under Section 64 is a form of protective assessment based on information gathered from the tax authorities in a particular case.