CA Exam Answer Sheets Found With Unauthorised Person in Kolkata
CA Exam Answer Sheets May 2019 Found With Unauthorised Person in Kolkata. ICAI Copy Checking by Unauthorized Person. Kolkata Police found Around 250 Chartered Accountancy exam answer sheets … The answer sheets are of a CA exam conducted in May/June 2019.
According to the police, a few days back they received information from an anonymous source that Pabitra Roy, a residence of Radha Madhav Goswami lane has some unauthorized answer sheets of CA exams. Pabitra Roy, an accountant who works at a CA firm, is not an authorised examiner of the Chartered Accountancy exam. Police say that he was checking the answer sheets on behalf of his employer Surajit Dutta, who was the authorised examiner for those copies.
|ICAI Press Release
Clarification regarding news reports on possession of answer books of CA exams by unauthorised person
An instance of Examination books being in illegal possession by an unauthorised person has recently been reported at Kolkata involving around 500 copies. It is clarified that ICAI examination system is totally robust and this instance is an aberration. The system runs through codified numbers and it is not possible to ascertain the identity of examinee or examination centre by any examiner or anyone else. The Institute has already initiated steps to proceed against the delinquent examiner and person in illegal possession of the answer books.
Both Ray and Dutta have now been arrested, but the incident raises questions about the integrity of the exam and the manner in which the papers are checked. The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) is the organisation that conducts the CA exams.
Raid conducted by Police
Acting on the information, the police raided Pabitra Roy’s residence where they found around 250 answer sheets of CA exams.
Police inform ICAI
The police informed ICAI about all this fiasco and ICAI officer Atis Basu went to Shyampukur station late Wednesday night and talked to the police officials. CA Atis Basu is the Joint Secretary in-charge of overall supervision and signing of all letters and certificates.
How It All Went All Down
- Based on a tip-off, police officials raided a house in Kolkata’s Bagbazar area on Wednesday night.
- After finding the answer sheets may 2019/ June 2019 in Ray’s possession, the cops began questioning him. Ray revealed that he had been asked to check those answer sheets by a man named Surajit Dutta, who was the authorised examiner for those copies.
- The police then went to Dutta’s house, where they found around 300 more answer sheets for May/ June 2019 for which Dutta himself is the authorised examiner. Dutta is a chartered accountant who has his own firm, where Pabitra Ray is an employee.
- Dutta had violated regulations and asked Ray to check the around 250 copies.
- Kolkata Police arrested both Dutta and Ray. They have now been granted bail under certain conditions. The cops have also reached out to ICAI, the organisation that conducts the exam, and are open to probing their role in the matter if need be.
Suo Moto filed by Police
Since no case was filed by ICAI, the police acted on its own and filed a Suo Moto case and arrested Surojit and Pabitra.