cowin Covid Vaccine Registration is started In India and lot of people confused Between Covaxin vs Covishield Vaccine so here our team provides A Detailed Comparison about Covaxin and Covishield. we basically have two vaccines in bulk, first, the Covishield and second, the Covaxin. Both the vaccines are Indian, but Covishield was made with the help of Oxford-AstraZeneca. Both the vaccines are very effective and have a very successful test results.
Covaxin vs Covishield
|The interval between the 2 doses is 4-6 weeks||The interval between 1st and 2nd doses is 4-12 weeks|
|If you apply it in a phase 3 trial with Covaxin, it will have an effect of 78% – 100%.||If you use this Kovid injection, the effect is 70% -90%.|
|Covaxin injections are applied only to people above 18 years of age.||Covishield can only be applied to people over 12 years of age.|
|The Covaxinshould only be done under the supervision of the doctors, and do not use anything without the advice of the doctors.||We request you to use this vaccine only under the supervision of doctors and take the advice of doctors.|
They also have a success rate of more than 90%, so doubting any of them is quite lame. However, there has been recently some questions asked to the doctor’s and also to the manufacturers of both the vaccines about the basic difference between the two vaccines and which one is better (if any). These questions are very common to human beings and there is nothing wrong in knowing the answer is well.
Why vaccination is Important
Before telling you the difference between the two vaccines, it is better to first know why vaccination is so important and why each and every individual must be vaccinated, as soon as possible.
- Without vaccinating 70% to 80% Indians, we can’t have herd immunity and without that, we will be living in a danger of being exposed again to this deadly virus.
- The government is doing whatever they could possibly do to vaccinate all the Indians and now, it is our responsibility to get vaccinated.
- The second wave of Covid-19 had taught us a very important lesson. When the early vaccination program was introduced by the government, we ignored it completely and paid the price for that, when the second wave arrived.
There are various vaccines available in the international market, but in India, Covishield and Covaxin is the most popular one and the available one. Government is planning to introduce vaccines like, Sputnik-V, Pfizer, and others.
Between Covaxin and Covishield
Now the question arises, which one is better? Covishield or Covaxin
Well to be honest both of the vaccines are pretty good and they have a pretty good test results is well. Although, in India, Covishield is rather more popular and has been used extensively, as compared to Covaxin. There is some differences between the two vaccines, which we will discuss in points:
- Covaxin is completely made in India vaccine, which is made by Bharat BioTech. On the other hand, Covishield is made by a Pune based Company, Serum Institute of India. The company made the vaccine in collaboration with Oxford-AstraZeneca.
- In the beginning, the availability of Covaxin was less than Covishield and because of that, most of people’s in our country has been vaccinated by Covishield. Also, Covishield is an approved vaccine by WHO, and it is being used all around the world.
- The gap between the first dose of Covishield is somewhere around three months, but in the case of Covaxin, the gap is only one month. This is a big difference in the context of this vaccination program.
- The side effects of both the vaccines are almost same. You will feel some body pain, fever, headache, pain in the joints, and some more mild symptoms. Although these symptoms last for only 24-36 hours and they doesn’t do any kind of harm. Perhaps it is even considered that having symptoms is a good thing. It means that your body is developing antibody against the virus.
- However after the arrival of second wave and the introduction of virus mutations, Covaxin is looking more effective than Covishield. Covaxin has worked a lot better on new mutants and it has a very high success rate. Scientists also believes that Covaxin will be effective on new strains of Covid is well.
But in case of Covishield, we can’t say the same thought. It’s effectiveness against the new strains have deceased a lot, which is a concerning sign.
- While both the vaccines are made by different companies, the process of making both is somewhat similar. Covaxin is made by the dead cells of the vaccine strain, whereas Covishield is a Viral Vector Vaccine. It is made by a virus, which is available in Chimpanzees. It increases the immunity to great extent.
- The pricing of vaccines is little different. Covishield is little cheap as compared to Covaxin. Government buys Covishield for 300 rupees and private hospitals gets it for 600 rupees. Now, in case of Covaxin, it is priced at 400 rupees for government and for private facilities and hospitals, it is priced at 1200 rupees. However this rate is only for the government or for the private facilities. You might be getting the vaccines at a much lower price or even for free.
Covaxin is an inactivated vaccine that is made from which dead corona virus. For this, Bharat Biotech used a sample of corona virus isolated at the National Institute of Virology, Pune. When this vaccine is applied, the immune cells recognize the dead virus and start making antibodies against it. Two doses of the vaccine are given at an interval of four weeks and can be stored between 2 °C to 8 °C.
Covishield has been developed jointly by Oxford University and AstraZhenka. It is being prepared in India by Serum Institute of India. This vaccine is made from a weakened form of the common cold-causing virus. It has been modified to look like a corona virus but it does not cause disease. When a vaccine is found, it prepares the immune system to fight any corona virus infection. This vaccine is given in two doses at intervals of four and 12 weeks. It can also be stored between 2 degrees to 8 degrees.
Difference between Sputnik V vs Covishield and Covaxin
|Sputnik||Covishield and Covaxin|
|Developed by Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology in association with Dr Reddy’s||Covishield is developed by the SII, Oxford University and AstraZeneca whereas Covaxin is developed by Bharat Biotech and ICMR|
|91.6 percent effective||Covishield can be up to 90% effective and Covaxin has been found to be 78-81% effective|
|The interval between the 2 doses is likely to be 21 days||The gap between the doses of Covishiled and Covaxin are respectively 12-16 weeks and 4-6 weeks|
Now for the conclusion, we can say that both the vaccines are almost similar and they have very few differences. These vaccines are the pillar of our healthcare system. We need to get vaccinated as early as we can to avoid any further complications. We have already suffered a great deal of damage and many have lost their life against this deadly virus. We should be thankful to God and to all the doctors and scientists who are doing such a hard work for each and every individual.