How to Become TRP - Procedure, Eligibility, Remuneration
How to Become TRP - Procedure, Eligibility, Remuneration. Find Complete Procedure for How to Become Tax Return Preparer. Eligibility Criteria to Become TRP, Remuneration Details of TRP, ROL of TRP's etc. Recently we also provide complete details for "How does a Tax Return Preparer help for Filing IT Return"
Procedure to Become a TRP
- Scheme is announced by the department at regular intervals (Approximately, once in two years).
- Once the scheme is announced, application form can be filled from this website or designated NIIT centres.
- Application forms would also be published in various newspapers.
- Candidates are required to enclose a demand draft of Rupees One Hundred (Rs 100/-) in favour of "NIIT Limited-TRPSCHEME"A/c. along with the application form.
- Training of 5,000 candidates will be carried out at 120 centres across the country. (Numbers may vary as per scheme announcement)
- Selection of the candidates for the training shall be made for each centre separately.
- A maximum of 500 candidates per centre shall be short listed out of the applications received on the basis of the marks obtained in the bachelor's examination. Only short listed candidates will be called for enrolment test.
- An applicant is allowed to apply for 3 centres, clearly indicating the centre preferences in the application form. Selection will be made centre wise.
- In case a candidate is short listed at more than one training centre for enrolment test, s/he would be allotted the training centre according to her/his order of preference filled in the application form.
- The result of the enrolment test shall be posted on this website.
- Successful candidates will make a security deposit of Rupees One Thousand (Rs 1000/-) with NIIT. This deposit will be refunded only on successful completion of training.
- The successful candidates will go through a rigorous training program, including web based and classroom based training program. Study material will be provided to the successful candidates. After the training program, the candidates will go through an assessment examination and will be certified as 'Tax Return Preparers'. They will also get subsequent help through a web based Knowledge Portal and help desk to file returns.
- The scheme only offers free training to the candidates. Arrangement for stay and transportation has to be made by the candidates themselves.
Eligibility Criteria to Become TRP
Qualification:Candidates should possess a bachelor's degree from a recognized university in any of the following subjects:
- Law (LLB)
- Economics (B.A. / B.Sc.)
- Statistics (B.A. / B.Sc.)
- Mathematics (B.A. / B.Sc.)
- Commerce (B.Com.)
- Management/ Business Administration (BBA / BBM)
Age:Candidates between the age of twenty-one (21) and thirty-five (35) years shall be eligible to apply.
RemunerationTRPs will receive 3% of the tax paid on the returns prepared & filed for every new assessee in the 1st year (subject to a maximum of Rs. 1000/-), 2% in the second year and 1% in the third year and Rs. 250 for the returns prepared & filed for the old assessees.
Role of TRPs
- An eligible person may, at his option, furnish his return of income under section 139 of the Act for any assessment year after getting it prepared through a Tax Return Preparer:
Provided that the return of income for an assessment year shall not be prepared and furnished through a Tax Return Preparer, if :
- An eligible person is carrying out business or profession during the previous year relevant to such assessment year and accounts of the business or profession for that previous year are required to be audited under section 44AB of the Act or under any other law for the time being in force;
- An eligible person is not resident in India during the previous year relevant to such assessment year:
- The Tax Return Preparer shall prepare and furnish the return of income to the Assessing Officer having the jurisdiction over the concerned assessee or to any other officer or agency as may be directed by the Resource Centre with the approval of the Board and hand over the acknowledgement of having furnished the return to the concerned eligible person.